WHAT WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
WHAT IS THE WHITBY CIVIC SOCIETY (WCS)?
Whitby is special ... a fact recognised worldwide.
We aim to preserve and enhance Whitby's rich heritage and ensure all proposals for its development respect its unique charcater.
The present Whitby Civic Society was formed in 1996, although our roots go back further to earlier Civic Societies in the town (for more details please refer to the section entitled HISTORY OF WCS). We are part of a much larger national family through membership of the Civic Voice movement.
We are proactive and managed through our executive committee who meet once a month to discuss any planning issue which might affect the environment of our town. Every aspect of our town is kept under review by liaising with and attending meetings of other relevant organisations and interest groups.
The Society is completely independent of any political, religious, or sectarian bias, and is a registered charity.
WHAT DOES WCS DO?
- We host Heritage Open Days with access to private and other properties of historic or special interest which are normally closed to the public.
- We encourage and acknowledge good quality sympathetic work in the built environment by awarding Certificates of Excellence
- We act as a consultee and scrutinise major planning proposals for new build and change to unique buildings.
- We erect Blue Plaques on properties to commemorate a link between that location and a famous person or event.
- We take practical action to improve the appearance of Whitby's unique environment. Some examples include regular beach cleaning and surveys, joint action with other local interest groups, the commissioning of the West Pier Storm Gate, and acting as custodians for the Victorian Spa Well House.
- We arrange a full programme of events including tours, visits, and a monthly lecture programme, as well as publishing a regular Newsletter and visitors guides relevant to the local built environment.
HOW DO I GET INVOLVED?
The Society's supporters include residents, those with Whitby connections, and visitors alike.
We extend a warm welcome to new members to help us to preserve & improve Whitby for future generations.
To find out more, contact our Membership Secretary - refer to the next website section MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION FORM or browse through the whole website, or contact members of the WCS Committee (details are shown under the heading COMMITTEE).
For a detailed description of WCS refer to :-
Our Constitution ... WCS_Constitution_as_of_16th_Feb_2015.pdf